Homemade Gift: Cowpeas n' Greens
Homemade Gift: Cowpeas n’ Greens
Sazon ham packet or 1 Tbsp ham base
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
¼ tsp coarse black pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
2 tsp minced onion
2 tsp parsley
2 cups cowpeas
1. Combine base and all seasonings in one baggie. Twist to tie.
2. Place cowpeas in a clear bag or jar.
3. Add baggie and seal.
To prepare you'll need:
1 bag Cowpeas n’ Greens, Water, 14oz diced tomatoes
1 bunch greens
1. Wash and sort peas. Soak overnight. Rinse and drain well.
2. Place peas in a large stockpot with seasonings. Cover with water.
3. Bring to boil, then cover and simmer for 1 hour.
4. Add tomatoes and chopped greens. Simmer 1 additional hour, until peas are tender and liquid reduced. Mash some of the peas with a wire whisk to thicken if desired.